Monday, March 11, 2024

Sacramento

I sit at the window


listening to traffic


I can feel the energy of my city


I can feel a million souls


moving


fighting


playing music


making music


dancing


walking


drinking


drowning worries


building and destroying


I can feel all this energy pass through me


like electricity moving through a wire


so many different frequencies


so many different textures, colors, flavors


flowing eventually together


if I can keep it from becoming ticklish


if I can keep it from burning


if I can just hold it, it's building


in me


as it pulses and finds a rhythm


a symphony of human motion


and emotions


it builds


it lifts me from my chair


I float up in my room


I find the center


I am equal distance from each of my walls


from the ceiling and from the floor


I start rotating


slowly at first


then spinning


faster 


and faster


until all is a blur


all vision is blended, streaked, combined, overlapped until it is blackness


a living blackness


all sound combines, at first cacophonous


then droning, buzzing, tighter until it is silence



I explode


the energy of the city returns to the city


it takes me with it


I am part of it as it is a part of me



I wake up cold in bed


I step to my open window and listen to my city


I can hear the far off freeway


someone is singing


a car drives by with loud bass thumping


it grows louder and then fades 


I close the window


shutting out the sounds of my city


in my small room


four white walls


as close as I ever get to silence


and I fall back to sleep

No comments: